Carolina and Duke fight for Bell victory
North Carolina (2-2, 1-2) vs. Duke (3-1, 0-0)
Chapel Hill • Saturday October 2, 2021 • Noon ET
Kenan Stadium (50,500) • ESPN2
Carolina Football Media Center
Series vs. Duke: NC leads 63-40-4
Series series: UNC has won the last two meetings
Last meeting: 2020 (W, 56-24)
Last UNC victory: 2020 (F, 56-24)
Record: 2-2 (1-2 ACC)
The Head Coach: Mack Brown (Florida State, ’74)
Overall record: 261-134-1, 33rd year
UNC Record: 86-58-1, Grade 13
Record: 3-1 (0-0 ACC)
Head Coach: David Cutcliffe (Alabama, 1976)
Overall record: 121-118, 21st year
Record at Duke: 77-89, Grade 14
Kick-off: noon ET
ESPN2: Mike Morgan, game by game; Kirk Morrison, analyst; Dawn Davenport, on the sidelines
Tar Heel Sports Network: Jones angell, game by game; Brian Simmons, Analyst; Lee Pace, on the sidelines
Satellite radio: Sirius (85), XM (85)
Website: A live radio broadcast from the Tar Heel Sports Network is available on the official UNC website, GoHeels.com, as well as through the TuneIn app.
TAR HEELS AND BLUE DEVILS
• North Carolina and Duke meet on the football field for the 100th consecutive year and 108th overall this Saturday, October 2 at Chapel Hill.
• Carolina have won the last two games of the series, including a 56-24 victory at Durham in 2020. Javonte williams scored four touchdowns in the first half and Sam howell threw three touchdowns, rushed for another and finished 18 of 27 for 235 yards.
• UNC is 32-19-2 at home against Duke, including a 22-16-2 record at Kenan. The Tar Heels won the last meeting in 2019, 20-17, and have won three of the last four overall at Chapel Hill.
• In 2019, Chazz Surratt recovered Deon Jackson’s rigged pass at the goal line with 14 seconds left to help bring the Victory Bell back to Chapel Hill for the first time since 2015.
• Carolina and Duke have met on the football field every year since 1922.
• The streak dates back to 1888 when the Blue Devils won 16-0 on a neutral site.
• The first meeting at Chapel Hill was also Carolina’s first win in the series in 1889, 1-0.
• North Carolina lost 45-22 to Georgia Tech in an ACC Coastal Division game last Saturday night in Atlanta.
• Sam howell rose to third on the UNC career passing yardage list with 8,400 yards, and is now tied for fifth in ACC history with 79 passing touchdowns.
VICTORY BELL HOLDER
• North Carolina retain the Victory Bell, the traveling trophy awarded to the winner of the annual game between Carolina and Duke, since 2019. A victory this Saturday would mark a third consecutive victory against the Blue Devils, the longest streak for the Tar Heels since their eight consecutive victories from 2004 to 2011.
BROWN VS. DUKE
• Mack Brown is 10-2 all-time against Duke.
• Brown has won his last 10 straight games against the Blue Devils. The streak began from 1990 to 1997 and continued with wins in 2019 and 2020.
• Carolina will host the State of Florida on Saturday, October 9. Kick-off will take place at 3 p.m. or 3:30 p.m. and will be confirmed on Sunday, October 3.