Agricultural Support Officer Vacancy in Pretoria | Information
News article | 18-08-2022 | 11:49
The Network of Dutch Agricultural Attachés (LAN) at the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in Pretoria, South Africa is looking for an Agricultural Support Officer to work full-time for 37.5 hours per week
The Ministry of Agriculture, Nature and Food Quality (LNV) is represented by the Economic Department of Dutch Embassies and Consulates General around the world. The economic departments promote trade (sometimes also supported by the Dutch business support offices “NBSO”), market access, policy identification and cooperation in the fields of agriculture (network of agricultural attachés “LAN”), innovation (network of innovation attachés “IAN”) and attracting foreign investment to the Netherlands (Netherlands Foreign Investment Agency “NFIA”).
LAN network has 60 offices in 80 countries. Through this LAN network, the Ministry of the LNV strengthens and contributes to the international position of the Netherlands in these countries.
The LAN network represents the ministry of LNV in the areas of agriculture and nature in the operational district and, to this end, maintains intensive contacts with local authorities, Dutch and local businesses and civil society organizations . They make an essential contribution to strengthening the international position of the Netherlands in the fields of agriculture and nature through:
- political support for the purposes of the main department of LNV;
- provide business services to the Dutch agri-food sector;
- bilateral and multilateral cooperation.
A large part of the time is devoted to promoting trade, attracting investment and negotiating market access for Dutch agricultural products with the authorities of the country of representation. In addition to this, the Agricultural Network, in some countries, contributes to the strengthening of Food Security.
The LAN network takes a proactive approach, seeking out opportunities for Dutch agribusiness and establishing direct contact with relevant stakeholders via newsletters, www.agroberichtenbuitenland.nl, social media and the embassy website.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Reports directly to the Agricultural Advisor who has ultimate responsibility and is responsible for policy related support for the LAN;
- Gives shape and direction to own activities and those of the team within a specific framework. This includes planning, tracking and monitoring activities, schedules and progress;
- Conduct the administrative requests of the team adhering to the administrative and procedural rules of the department, the regulations and the working agreement of the department;
- Write information for management and provide analysis and recommendations when requested. Processes and organizes data and manages and maintains it in digital or hard copy form;
- Prepares trade delegations, incoming missions and develops programs for trade delegations and visitors;
- Dealing with business inquiries from the Dutch agricultural industry;
- Ensures that accounting records are accurate and well coordinated; is responsible for budget management within the LAN, making interim reports and is responsible for the financial part of the LAN activity plan;
- Drafts contractor contracts for major events and/or development cooperation projects;
- Coordinates within the LAN the management of the contact and communication database (Achille);
- Writes articles for the agricultural website (www.agroberichtenbuitenland.nl (ABB)), to create visibility on ongoing initiatives within the LAN network;
- Drafts, manages and coordinates the LAN part of the digital “cooperation space” for archives and documents.
Actual missions and skills
- Takes care of the administrative and financial aspects of the activities of the LAN team and reports regularly to the LAN Homebase of the Netherlands Enterprise Agency (RVO) and contributes to the annual plans and reports of LAN-Pretoria;
- Works closely with other colleagues from relevant Embassy thematic teams (i.e. Climate Change team, Innovation team, Smart Cities team and other sectoral areas) at the Embassy in Pretoria and serves as a contact point for external relations;
- Actively uses network contacts and independently expands this network and maintains LAN contact database databases such as Achille;
- Provides support for the preparation and organization of official visits, trade and regional missions, conferences, seminars, workshops, fair activities, networking events and other activities;
- Collects and manages relevant market and sector information and shares the calendar of agricultural exhibitions and events in order to inform (via ABB) and support the Dutch agri-food chain;
- Supports the process of preparing presentations and compiling information files;
- Collects relevant and accurate information/data and communicates with relevant networks, including but not limited to the Dutch private sector and within the LAN network;
- Creates visibility on team activities and shares relevant information via social networks.
Knowledge and skills
Level of education: Hold at least a university degree in one of the following fields: agricultural economics, social sciences and/or communication;
Level of experience: 3-4 years of relevant experience required;
- General knowledge and understanding of financial and economic (agricultural) affairs;
- Experience in writing reports, articles and documents;
- Good verbal and written command of the mother tongue and English;
- A command of the Dutch language and culture is appreciated;
- Knowledge and experience with HTML documents;
- Experience using social media in a professional setting.
- Good communication and contact skills;
- Flexible and proactive;
- Computer knowledge and skills (Windows, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, E-mail, Internet);
- Team player.
- Client orientation
- Focused on goals
- Ability to work with others
- Environmental awareness
- Ability to plan and organize
- Analytical thinking
- Stress resistant
The LAN Network is part of the organizational structure of the Embassy. The Agricultural Advisor is the general manager of the LAN team which consists of an Agricultural Advisor, an Agricultural Officer and a Management Support Officer. There is close cooperation with other sections within the Embassy (i.e. thematic teams focusing on climate change, innovation and smart cities). The Agricultural Network is responsible for agri-food and nature affairs.
- With Homebase LAN at the Netherlands Business Agency (RVO.nl) in The Hague and with other agricultural networks around the world;
- With the Ministry of Agriculture, Nature and Food Quality in The Hague and if necessary with other ministries;
- With ministries and local authorities, professional organizations and the business world;
- With other members of the Dutch Embassy and in particular with members of the Embassy’s thematic areas team;
- With independent civil society organizations, such as NGOs;
- With news media for public information, public relations and press releases.
Terms of employment
The appointment will be made on the basis of a local contract in accordance with the rules and regulations of the LESC of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Netherlands. The contract will be for a fixed term for a period of 1 year with the possibility of extension. The successful candidate is expected to start work from November 1, 2022. The salary scale will depend on the education and experience of the candidate.
Diversity and inclusiveness
The Dutch government is an inclusive employer that emphasizes diversity. We value diversity, promote equality and fight discrimination, thereby improving our organizational capacity. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, color, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, or any other category protected by law . We promote flexible and family-friendly working arrangements where operational and security needs permit.
Interested candidates can apply before August 31, 2022 by sending a cover letter and a recent CV to the agricultural adviser’s email address: [email protected] Applicants are requested to introduce the subject line of their application emails as follows: Farm Support Officer – Last Name.